Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Speech Update!


I am so proud of my Drew bug. It is like I have a completely different kid from the one I had three months ago. He is making leaps and bounds in his speech and our therapist is thrilled with his progress.

I feel like it has been an up hill battle, but for the first time in weeks I feel like we are getting somewhere. I had some issues at first with this speech pathologist, but after today I am going to give her a chance. I am also trying really hard to be constantly aware of what he is trying to say.

Right now we are still doing sign language since that is what we use to communicate, but I am now starting to hear him forming words in his day to day talk. His big problem is that he is dropping letters from words, so instead of "Dog" it is "oG", which makes it that much harder to understand him. He is trying though so we are incouraging him the best we can. And if he doesn't know what something is he will give it it's own new name which is just a babble of sounds.

But he has added a quite a few new words, including:

Dog (og)           Kitty (itty)            Blanket (Bo)       Sippy (Ippy)       Mommy      Daddy    Thanks (Tank)
Sissy (Iss)         Done                    Bob                   Bubble (bubb)     Car             Truck     Cow
Football (Fooball)                         bed                    bath (baff)          

He is also signing "more" all done" eat" drink" milk" Angry" Sissy" pleas" and "thank you."

But the think I am most impressed with was today in therapy she had him blowing bubbles, and when he finally did it he looked at up and yelled "I DID IT!" and I just about cried. My kid really can speak!!! There is hope for a conversation with him and I feel like we are so much closer to it now!

I can't begin to explain how pround I am of him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave positive feedback! :D