| how he dressed himself today |
So we just had the first of 2 evaluations. This on basically covered his whole development and to see if we needed any detailed evaluations.
He did great besides a few melt downs when he saw one of her toys and she was trying to get him to do something else. Everything is right where it needs to be besides is communication skills, which is exactly what I was expecting.
Of 100 kids his age group, he had a total score of 1% for his speech, and 5% for his cognitive skills which she believes is directly related to his lack of speaking. We should be hearing from the Speech therapist sometime by the end of the week and will probably have to put off her evaluation until the kids and I get back from Seattle.
We will also be testing his hearing and making sure he has no fluid in his ears. We will then be starting speech therapy after we make a family goal plan, and come December he will qualify to a special pre-preschool once a week from 9-11am, and I am really excited about it because I know he will love it! The therapist will be coming to our house on a weekly basis and working with him for a few hours, but she will also be showing me things to do and how I can help him the rest of the week so that we can continue to build on his learning through out the week.
For the time being, we are teaching him "please" Thank you" more" and "drink" in sign language to see if that helps cut down on his frustration issues. I am praying it does because these last couple of days has been a doozy with temper tantrums.
Nayt is also going along with it. I think it took hearing it from a professional that Drew does need help (and that it's totally free) to get on board. He's still dragging his feet but getting over it.
I'll admit it is hard to hear your kid is way below average on something, and it hurt my heart to know he is struggling. While I am beyond thrilled to get this going, I do have a tiny part of me that feels bad still. I can't seem to shake all the "what ifs". But I also know that sometimes in life you just need a little bit of help and this is one of those moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave positive feedback! :D