Where do I start?! I want to curl into a ball and let today be over. Sick kids do NOT make the day any better. (Who invited the flu I want to know? Snot, puke and poop. Everywhere.)
But we had our meeting with the school and I feel worst then I did before we went. The class room was old and boring, and the teacher wasn't anything like I expected. I could cry. We don't have any other choice since we are in the special ed program and they are the only ones in our district. I am afraid he is going to hate it.
I knew they were going to throw a lot at us, but I don't think anything prepares you for sitting in a room with 7 strangers talking about how behind your kid is and all sorts of new terms. I was really over whelmed today and I already have a list of questions for our next meeting. At least we have until August to get it all set up.
Here is what we DO know:
He is:
Sensory Sensitive
Has low registration
Sensation avoiding
shows some sensory seeking tendencies
Has a probable difference in Visual, tactile and vestibular processing
His Battelle II scores:
Adaptive: 27%
Personal Social: 7%
Communication: 0.5%
Motor: 45%
Cognitive: 1%
Total BDI-2 score: 4%
His over all language score was 5%.
So next school year he will receive 480 minutes of special education (Tue/Thurs 10-2)at the early ed preschool, with 15 minutes with the speech pathologist and 15 minutes of speech with a paraprofessional. Nothing with an OT yet, no separate time for sensory therapy. She kept saying they have sensory in her classroom but nothing specific. Again, she is more concerned with preparing him for school. I expected that. I knew we wouldn't get in home therapy. I didn't expect it to be pushed aside like that though.
I am going to run it all by our case worker to see if she thinks this is enough and if I should push more for OT ( my gut is telling me too.) Or am I making to big of deal about it all if her class room is set up for special need kids.
So here is where I am now. I don't know what is normal. (Any special ed moms/teachers reading, am I setting to high of expectations?) If this isn't the norm, what do I do? How do I push? How do I do it in a way that I am advocating without being over bearing? Or is that what I am suppose to do? I am so confused and over whelmed. I don't want special treatment, I just want what is best for Drew. Should I wait until our actual IEP in September? Talk to her in July? Email her now? I am such a noob at all of this! Someone please tell me it gets easier?!! Am I a special needs mom fail?!?!
I'll take that massage now Ryan....
Hi there I found your blog from the sharefest. What does your pediatrician suggest? Have you talked with her? Teachers and schools - at least ours here in PDX - are pretty amazing and do wonderful work with kids.
ReplyDeleteVisiting via the SITS sharefest. Hugs to you! I can only imagine how stressful this would be and, of course you want the best for your son. I think you should push forward with your instincts because you are his best advocate. I'm sure the IEP will help but don't settle for less than what you think he needs. xoxo
ReplyDeleteI agree that you should push forward with your instincts because you are his best advocate. As a former classroom teacher who worked with some special needs students, my advice is that waiting until September for his IEP meeting may not be the best thing to do. The teachers and school want was best for each child and you asking for that is not a problem ... worrying about it until the Sept. meeting could be a problem. I would approach the subject by saying you want to ask some questions for clarification. Asking rather than demanding may get you farther ... (I am glad that I found your blog through SITS Sharefest)
ReplyDeleteOh, I forgot .... you are definitely not a "special needs mom fail" since you are concerned about what is best for your child and willing to do whatever you can to make that happen. I have seen lots of students who did not have the support when it was needed ... (I think I will be quiet now) :)
ReplyDeleteVisiting from the SITS Sharefest. You are NOT a special needs mom fail! NEGATIVE! I understand your struggle and your frustration. My son is on the autism spectrum as PDD-NOS. All the questions you are asking are normal and I understand their origin. I don't claim to be a pro at all this, but I'm happy to talk to you via email and see if I can't help just a little.
ReplyDeleteThank you ladies so much! I am emailing his new teacher with some questions and will be addressing them in July at a home visit, then we will give them the same 30 days they are giving us before our next IEP.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the love!! I needed it this morning! :)
I don't have the answers to any of your questions. But my heart is aching for you. It's so tough, as a mom, to know when to fight and when to wait. I'd say trust your heart (or your gut, whatever). You know your child better than anyone else in the world, special training or not. He has you. You love him so much. He's already so far ahead of the game!
ReplyDeleteCan you imagine it you'd lived a hundred years ago and were trying to figure this all out without any specially trained help? How blessed that you have so many things available.
I wish you the best as you fight your way down this new road. Stopping by from SITS.
I'm inviting you to a Sensory Processing Disorder series where sensory bloggers can share their experiences, advice, victories, tips and everyday challenges with others. And we want you! Learn more at http://www.thesensoryspectrum.com/calling-all-bloggers/
ReplyDelete