I am so happy today is a new day and we get to start over. Thank God. Even if it means that Drew and I are camped out in my bed watching Spongebob square pants on netflix at 6:45 in the morning.
Yesterday was rough. I would go as far to say that it was our hardest day so far this month (because he has 5 more days to prove me wrong.) It brought me back to where we were 6 months ago with a hyper active monster man who would jump from couch to couch, yell, scream, have hour long breakdowns, was mean and just the polar opposite of the normally sweet boy I see most days. I don't know if it was the fact he wasn't feeling good (Hello cold that has hit our house!), the fact that school and Drew have required more of my attention then my house so it looks like a natural disaster hit it, or that this past week has been pretty tough on our morning routine.
As hard as yesterday was, and as discouraged as I was after our IEP meeting, I found myself surprised by how I reacted. Was I annoyed, yes, but I found that knowing what was going on be it the lack of routine this week which was beyond my control, rainy days, or to much energy in an over tired kid was helpful. Instead of seeing a kid misbehaving I saw my poor sweet boy having a sensory breakdown he couldn't control. And I was prepared. I had his sensory toys out, (which did nothing by the way), tried muscle compression, and then just held him in a tight bear hug until he calmed down. Being able to respond to his meltdown like that was amazing. Months ago I would have gotten mad, spanked him, and made it worst until we both spiraled completely out of control. Knowing that he has sensory needs makes me feel more in control in an out of control situation. And feeling like I have a way to actually help him makes me feel stronger as a mother. At least today.
Also, I just wanted to touch on the fact that this weekend is memorial day. As a military kid the day holds a special meaning. Please be sure to thank a solider this weekend while you are enjoying your bbq, even if you don't agree with war. They give you the right to disagree and for that they deserve your thanks. :)
In loving memory of SGT William Willhoite, USAF retired
And a special thanks for my Soon-to-be retired father after nearly 29 years of Army Service, proud to be an Army brat! Hoo-ah :)

Oh sweetheart. I totally understand it. My girls go through some serious meltdowns but ever since the partial diagnosis I've been able to handle it so much better..just from knowing. It changes nothing but it changes everything.
ReplyDeleteI'm a fellow AF brat. (((HUGS)))