Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It's Happening!

Our meeting with the school that is! :)

 I won't have time to get on tomorrow so I thought I'd post about it today, but we meet with the school district at 9 am on Friday for our entrance interview/evaluation/agreement to testing. And to say I am nervous is an under statement.

 I know nothing about 1) the public school system since I was home schooled and 2.) special education.

I know we will be working on his IEP (individual educational Plan) in September once he actually starts the early preschool program. Which again, is something I know nothing about and neither does Nayt. We do know that our school district is one of the best in the state for early special ed and our IT case worker highly recommends the early special ed teacher which puts me a little more at ease.

 We are meeting with the preschool teacher, the special ed teacher, early special ed teacher, the principle, and the speech pathologist. We may also have the Occupational Therapist there for his SPD issues. Our case worker will be there as well but she has done nothing to prep me for the meeting.

 This is our first step into getting "into the system" and I am feeling a lot of pressure to go to bat for him. So much I feel sick to my stomach. I want this for him so bad and even though I have no worries about him qualifying, his speech is taking leaps and bounds and I am afraid he is going to slip through the cracks because of that. I am also terrified about this summer and the 2 1/2 months off of therapy. He NEEDs that therapy and if we can't get into the school... I don't even want to think about it! I know they just added his SPD to his paperwork and I pray that the school has received it. (because if I am really honest IT isn't always on top of their game.) I just want him to qualify for OT there and we will be looking into private OT if he gets the official PDD-POS dx. Our insurance won't cover it without the dx and there is no way we can pay oop for it. But that is another post for another day.

I am also having all sorts of emotions about sending my baby to "big boy school". He will be gone 8 hours a week spaced out into two days. He is going to love it.  I am going to love the break, but I can't shake the fact that my boy is growing up, even if I don't want him too!! Now... on to potty training!!

2 comments:

  1. Your son is very lucky to have a mother who is going to bat for him. I've been teaching in nyc for the past 8 years and I won't lie and say that kids never slip through the cracks, but kids who have parents who are involved tend not to. If I know at the end of the day a parent is going to ask me specific questions about their child's day, I'm going to make damn sure I have an answer for them. Again, your son is very lucky and I wish you all the best.

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! That means a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave positive feedback! :D