I want to talk about "the stare". Maybe you know what I am talking about, either because you have given it or because you have received it. Either way, it is that stare you get when you are out in public, the stare that is the judge and jury. The look that says "why don't they just give that kid a spanking?" or "What is WRONG with them?!" that stare. I have become a collector of "the stare".
One of my worst traits is that I care about what people think of me. I care about people judging me, my family and my choices. I worry that I am "that mom". I know some of it stems from growing up and how I felt I had to always be perfect because that was what was expected, some of it is that I feel like I am still making up from being a craptastic young mom struggling with depression and some of it is that I am a people please-er by nature. What ever the under lying cause is, the thought of other people judging me and more importantly Drew really upsets me and I can't seem to get over it. Nayt is really good about not caring which I respect so much, but I just can't let it go.
The past weekend I came face to face with my issue of being judged and "the stare". We are open with the problems with Drew but we also don't go about declaring it to every single person we see. It's none of their business and we don't want him to be treated any different that anyone else. I have no regrets about this choice. However, I do wish sometimes I had a t-shirt that said 'please show us some sympathy.' I would have brought it to the bbq.
Drew loves being outside. Adores it actually. He loved to run around and play in the dirt. Unfortunately, he doesn't do well with crowds (how many kids with spd does?!) and when there are big groups he goes a bit ape shit. Running into people, throwing fits, yelling, dumping things, the whole I-need-to-live-in-the-zoo nine yards. It wouldn't be a big deal if 1, I wasn't trying to wrangle with now mobile little sister, or 2, this one lady who is always there wasn't such a
I hate it. I feel judged. Misunderstood, and like my sweet baby boy is a freak. I hate it. It makes me mad. It makes me want to curl into a ball and cry. and it makes me ask why?! Why does this have to be so hard? why can't my kid handle things like a normal kid? and more importantly, why the heck do I care so much?!
This also makes me wonder how many people have I judged based on their child that they may not have had any control over? I know from experienced that I did not ask for this. This isn't FUN. or my FAULT. I have ZERO CONTROL over how my son handles what is going on. So why do people act like it is? That this is what we want, . because it isn't. I would love to be able to go out to dinner and not have bride him to not play with his food or bug the people behind us. I would like to know how it is to shop without a major fit. This isn't what I asked for. I live it and I love it because this is my life, but I hate it when we are treated like this is what we do on purpose. I adore my son, but I am the first to admit that he isn't an easy kid. But he is my kid and I love him. but please, keep your stares and judgements to yourself. We are all fighting a different battle, so show a little empathy and next time you see a frazzled mom struggling with a screaming kid, shoot her a smile instead of a stare. It goes a long way. trust me.
.
Sounds like a normal toddler boy to me! Junior is pretty good but he has his bad days and what you described sounds just like him sometimes. There is nothing wrong with him or you and anyone who has a normal kid would never judge you. I get nervous taking JR to playgroup because he is so spirited but honestly most the kids are just like him! I actually smile inside when I see another kid throw a fit or hit someone haha. I have finally given up on having a PERFECT child, there is no such thing and never will be. If JR wants to throw a fit in the middle of the store then so be it, I can yell at him or spank him but it wont do any good. Sometimes the best thing is to let him throw his fit so he knows he wont get anything from it.
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, you are being WAY to hard on yourself! Just accept he's a normal toddler and you will have a lot less stress, believe me! He really isn't that different than most boys.
Sometimes the hardest thing for me to do is NOT to judge. Yeah, I'll own that. Even though I have a special needs kid, I have no idea what is going on in someone else's life. I don't. But that shouldn't be an excuse for bad behavior--both on my part and another person. These are the times when I wished we lived closer so we could offer that help when we needed it and not be afraid to ask. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLizbeth I wish we all lived closer too because I could use the help! We are still so new at this all the figuring out what is bad behavior and what is something he can't control is going to be the death of me. And I judge too, not going to lie. And I try to not make excuses for Drew because really he is a good kid who listens well, things just set him off and he turns into this completely different child. Makes me crazy!
ReplyDeleteI am glad to know that I am not alone in this world of special needs because for the past few weeks I have felt that way.