I love my Drew bug, and I have to say one of the coolest things as a mother is watching him get excited about things. And when he gets excited about something, he goes gung ho into learned all about it.
First it was trains. Everything was trains, tracks, rail road crossings, shows with trains, steam trains on you tube for hours, how trains are made, operated, Thomas, Chuggington and just about anything else you could learn about trains. For over a year. It was trains and only trains.
Than we moved on to fire trucks. Anything he could learn about fire trucks he did. He fell in love with fireman Sam, and every time we pass a truck he freaks out. He loved them. Still loves them.
But my little man has found a new passion. Fishing. He has fallen in love with fishing. Naythan and I decided when he didn't get the job in Eugene that we would spend every chance we had enjoying the beauty that is Idaho, and one of the greatest things around us is the natural beauty and out door life. So we got our Idaho driver's license, picked up a fishing license, a tent, some poles and just about everything else two newbie campers could need for a trip to the lake. To test out our fishing gear the 4 of us headed down to the local pond fish and game keeps nice and stocked with pan fish. As an early birthday present we picked up a car's fishing pole and gave it to him early. After a few tries, we showed him how to cast and how to reel it in and Drew became a natural little fisherman of pond algae. We didn't catch anything other than the fishing bug. Now that is all he will talk about. Every boat we pass gets him excited, he wants to watch fishing shows on tv and is itching to go out again.
I know that so many people look at the obsessions autistic kids get as a bad thing, but you know what, I love seeing him excited about things, learning about things, and soaking all the information we give him in. So God help me, I will feed his little mind until he moves on to the next thing. My mom always taught us (remember, I was home schooled?) based on our interests at the time, and I want to do that for my kids too. What's so wrong with learning everything there is to learn about fishing, trains, or firetrucks? Plus, the look on his face when he reals in his algae fish is priceless. Bring it on this weekend!

I love to fish when I was little, still do now. But I really don't like the unhooking the fish part..... :)
ReplyDelete