So, first allow me to shed some light on some common misconceptions about being homeschooled.
Actually, watch this first, I'll wait:
If you want to watch a few more check out this , this and this .
ok. So they pretty much cover it all, BUT I can also bust a few myths myself.
- Homeschool curriculum is typically harder than that of private or public school work. Sure, it may be "lacking" evolution or sex education, but I don't know many 10th graders having to learn Greek and Latin in order to complete their school work. I am also willing to bet that most people who say homeschool work have never checked out Abeka English, Saxon Math or been forced to do a Victory Speed drill. And sure, there are plenty of "easy" things homeschoolers can do for their education and there are many people who do it wrong, because no matter where you go counting a nature walk as your science alone won't cut it. My high school diploma came from a public school where I graduated with a 3.9 gpa, a member of National Honors Society and my pick of colleges. Also, I am currently on the deans list in college. So please don't tell me homeschoolers are dumbed down because I will turn around and tell you about some of the horror stories I heard. Tit for tat my friends. Its all in the experience.
- Unlike many homeschoolers I was required to do PE, clean my room, get dressed and be at the kitchen table by 8am. I have all my subjects to do for the day and if I got it done early I was free for the rest of the day, but most days ended at 11pm with me in tears because my math wasn't done yet.
- There was no such thing as a break. I actually got jealous of some of my friends because my parents knew exactly what I was learning and would find everything that went along with it to talk about. Dinner wasn't a break, it was an extension of school work. Vacation to Europe for 3 weeks turned into a 5 page report. Try having your teacher being with you every second of the day.
- We socialized. A lot. But we had to actively do it. I was involved in so much I didn't have time for messing around. Drama: check. music lessons: check. choir: yep. softball, riding lessons... I could go on.
- All homeschoolers are not dorks. In my group of conservative Christain friends I was totally normal. I wore jeans. I shopped at Aeropostale. My mom sometimes wore the homeschool camo of a skirt and sneakers but it was rare. While I won't deny I wasn't a nerd in high school, because I was, I reassure you we were not this family:
![]() |
| My actual family picture. Christmas 2003 |
- Not all homeschoolers are ultra religious. We were but I am grateful for that.
- Homeschooling was awesome
Now, all of that said, at this point in time I have no intention of homeschooling my own kids, though that may change down the road. It was a fantastic thing for me and I have zero regrets but at the place where I am right now my kids will be going to someone else for their education. I know it could all change 3, 5 or 10 years down the road and the way our country and education is going down the drain I may just pull them out and teach them. But I am not at that point yet.
This is why I won't be homeschooling my kids:
- Drew is in special Ed with special teachers and therapy. There is no conceivable way to give him what he is getting at home or even a private school. This is the ultimate important thing for me. He needs what public school offers him right now.
- My husband isn't on board. Homeschooling involved the whole family and he needs to support is just as much as I do.
- By the time I am done with school, (eh hem June of 2016) I will have been in post high school education for 10 years. By that point I am sure the last thing I will want to do is spend another 12 educating my kids. I am already ready to work. By the time I have my masters I will be beyond ready to do what I have been studying so hard for.
- I am not patient. I love my kids, I love being a mom, and I love that they can learn things from me, but I have zero desire to be their full time at home teacher. I just simply don't have that kind of patience.
- I know how much work it is and I don't want to do that. See above.
![]() |
| Senior Picture. |


I remember those days well lol I would never homeschool either. Like you I love my pumpkin to death, but my patience all too often wears thin and I'm looking forward to sending her to school.
ReplyDelete