Wednesday, September 18, 2013

An open Letter to Starbucks

Dear Starbucks and Mr. Schultz,

I am sure you have been bombarded with letters, tweets, facebook posts and on other social media both praising and insulting you about the letter posted on your blog in regards to guns in your store. Allow me to add my voice to the masses and explain to you why I will no longer be giving my business to you.

I have been going to starbucks for as long as I can remember. It was "the spot" to be in high school. It wasn't until this year that my devotion to you started to decrease, mainly because my truck will not fit in either the parking lot or drive thu at the local store. I am also a college student and mother on a 1 income budget and unfortunately your prices continue to creep up as your product becomes sub-par compared to the local shops here that offer more options, better quality and for less which also forces me to take my money else where. It is unfortunate because I love my caramel macchiato but in today's economy I have to make choices.

Mr. Schultz, my husband did a research paper on your company and through it I gained a lot of respect for how you build relationships in business.  I further gained respect for your company when you supplied the coffee for American troops, took a stand on Gay marriage and continue to support countries through out the world. On the same note, I have respect for you finally coming out with a statement on the issues of the 2nd amendment which is an argument you have been dragged into unasked by your original stance of abiding my local laws. Both pro and anti gun supporters have used your stores as a stage. You are a business, not a political poster. I also respect the fact that you are taking the wants and needs of your customers into consideration, that you want everyone who walks through your door to feel comfortable, and that you are brave enough to make a statement. You even asked gun owners in a respectful way to leave their side arms at home without demanding it. You were over all respectful and state you will continue to serve coffee regardless of gun wearing or not. That's cool. Good for you. 

However, my problem comes from the way you state things in your letter. I bought a coffee (which I rarely do these days) on the so called "Starbucks appreciation day". I even posted a picture or two on instagram. I did this, not because you support open carry, but because I respected the fact that you honored local laws and did not turn away legally licence adults who responsibly carry their guns. As a 2nd amendment supporter that is all I ask. This "Starbucks appreciation day" was on the same day an anti-gun group boycotted the company. Forgive me if I am wrong, but it is insulting to be told "Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening. Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores". You clearly did not appreciate the business gun right supporters brought you that day, and in fact, it is down right upsetting. If you read up on that day, it wasn't because starbucks supported open carry, it was because you didn't take the rights away (kind of funny now when you think about it!). And while there were some participants on that day that took it to far  (An assault weapon, really people?!) or were insensitive to current events like in Newtown, as a whole, the flock of gun owners that day were peaceful and didn't interrupt anyone's over priced coffee. 

Also, in your letter you state.  "and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on..."  I get this. I do. However, here is how it is insulting: you are basically stating that you expect gun owners to be agitated, upset and violent if confronted. Every gun owner I know is more than happy to respect the wishes of an establishment. We are law abiding folks, not crazy gunslinger's from the wild west. This is insulting to gun owners. Sure, there are crazies out there, but most of them shoot up 'Gun Free Zones' for a reason. Insulting your customers who went out in force to support your neutrality isn't a way to build business Mr. Schultz. 

And much like your customers who felt uncomfortable in your stores with a gun present, I personally feel uncomfortable being in a gun free zone. I have kids. I know the stats. Recent shootings have taken place in a movie theater, a school and a military base. All gun free zones. Furthermore, both my brother and my best friend work for your company and it makes me uneasy thinking of them now working in a place that has publicly said guns are unwelcome. I do not see criminals respecting your wish, just the good guys. It's a scary world when the bad guys has guns and the good guys are unarmed, and now my loved ones will be in a place like that. 

I agree with your statement that "Whatever your view, I encourage you to be responsible and respectful of each other as citizens and neighbors"  as this debate has reached an uncivil level. I firmly believe that the way gun activist will win over others is through respect, intelligence, writing elected officials,  being model citizens and letting actions speak louder than words; not through insults, arrogance, entitlement or arguments. And in that light, I respect your request and I can see how this debate put you in hot water and the way you are going about it is a way to appease both parties, but it still doesn't change the fact that I won't be spending my hard earned money on your coffee any longer. 

Here is the base on my problem, it isn't guns or no guns, but the limitation on civil rights. It's a slippery slope to be on, especially as a business as you don't want to insult either party and both sides have made being neutral a challenge. I don't even carry a gun right now, though I plan to in the future and am in the process of getting my concealed weapons licence. But the way you insulted the people who supported your company when other's were boycotting it is what bothers me the most. It's your business, your choices, and if you respectfully request gun owners to leave their weapons at home and insult those who gave you money out of support of an idea, I will respectfully take my business elsewhere to a company that values me, my money and all my civil rights. 

I just thought it was fair to tell you why. 

Sincerely

A former Starbucks Coffee drinker 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave positive feedback! :D