I have debated on writing this. I have been torn on doing it
for a long time. Why bring up the past? I am a happily married mom of two. My
husband, who knows my past, has been amazing and I am no longer that girl I was
when we met or got married. We have worked through the issues. I am healthy
now. But it wasn’t all that long ago I wasn’t, and if my story can help just
one woman, it is worth is.This is hard to write about and I know that it isn't even close to what millions of women endure. I am not trying to victimize myself. I am not trying to make it worst than it was. I am just being honest. Just being me.
I was 18. He was 21. I was naïve and he was convincing. My
parents hated him from the moment they met him, but being “an adult” I thought
I knew better. I thought it was love. I thought I was going to marry him. So I
gave him everything, because he talked me into it. He told me he was going to marry me so it made it ok. I turned off the little
voice in my head that whispered “run” because he told me if I ever left him he
would kill me and then himself. For months he controlled my every move, often
leaving me in tears and then he would kiss me and say he was sorry. I deserved
better. He would do better. I gave in. Over and over again for months.
December 9th, 2006 will be a night that will
forever be in my head. It was the night when I refused him something but he did
it anyways because he said “he knew what I wanted better than I did.” I sat in
my car stunned before heading home. The same night my parents found me leaving his apartment and told
me to choose: Dump him or move away. Because I was stubborn and caught so deep
in his trap I fought with them and less than 24 hours later I was on a plane to
Oregon, still in pain from how he assaulted me but I was too afraid to tell
anyone. I cried the entire flight from Phoenix to Portland. I thought I deserved it, the heart ache, the pain, everything. I still didn’t see the abuse in the situation.
I continued the relationship at a distance for almost a year. Every night was the same, he would tell me about the girls he flirted with, told me I was worthless, ugly, fat, that I was lucky to have him then the next moment he would say that he was nothing without me and if I tried to break up with him he would find me. He convinced me to open a joint-bank account with him where he proceed to give me a set budget that barely met my needs and stole the rest of my money. All in all I think I lost close to $8,000 to him. He would refuse to talk to me if I went out with friends. He would be mad if I talked about my family. He controlled me, even being 1300 miles apart.
I continued the relationship at a distance for almost a year. Every night was the same, he would tell me about the girls he flirted with, told me I was worthless, ugly, fat, that I was lucky to have him then the next moment he would say that he was nothing without me and if I tried to break up with him he would find me. He convinced me to open a joint-bank account with him where he proceed to give me a set budget that barely met my needs and stole the rest of my money. All in all I think I lost close to $8,000 to him. He would refuse to talk to me if I went out with friends. He would be mad if I talked about my family. He controlled me, even being 1300 miles apart.
When I would tell him that this was too hard, there was
always something why I couldn’t break up with him. His mom had cancer. He was
sick. He was depressed. He'd kill me or himself. He NEEDED me.
It was physically exhausting. I went from a curvy size 14 to
almost a size 8 in a few months. I couldn’t eat. It was emotionally exhausting.
I was depressed and more than once thought about taking my own life because it
was easier than living like this. My relationships were ruined and took years
to rebuild. I was broke. Spiritually I was exhausted having been brow beaten by
numerous pastors about not honoring my parents and living a life of sin. On the
outside I told everyone I was in love, I was happy, but deep down I knew it was
too hard. This wasn’t right. But I never, ever spoke up. I didn’t think anyone
would listen and I didn’t know how to remove myself from the situation at this
point. Plus I really wanted to prove people wrong. So I put up with it. For
over a year I allowed him to abuse me. Mentally and verbally, and if we would
have been in the same place I am sure it would have been both physically and
sexually as well.
It all ended the night I met my husband.
For weeks I got threatening emails from my abuser. He threatened
to kill the new guy I was with. Threatened to hunt me down. Threatened to kill
himself. We debated on going to the police but I couldn’t do it. I changed my
number, emptied my bank account than froze it. Blocked him from all social
media accounts and filed a restraining order.
It took me years to realize I was abused. It took even
longer to realize I was raped on the night of December 6th, 2006. No
means no. For the longest time I thought the “rape” was only for girls who were
jumped by a stranger in a dark alley. But that’s not the case. More often than
not rape comes from boyfriends or spouses. It doesn’t matter that you are in a
relationship. Being forced to do something you are not comfortable with and
saying no to is rape. Plain and simple. The day I realized that was
enlightening. It is still hard to share my story. I still feel like some of it
is on me. But it isn’t. I was manipulated the whole relationship. He used me. I
am a rape and abuse survivor.
That’s hard to say.
My husband is my hero. He showed me what real love looked
and felt like. It wasn’t hard the way it was before. When I said I wasn’t ready
for something, he stopped on the spot. We talked through issues. I was able to
grow because he just loved me. He didn’t want anything from me. That is what a
healthy relationship is. Through his love, and the over abundant grace of God I was able to move on.
I still have nightmares about my abuser though, and it’s been over
6 years. I can’t smell certain colognes without having flash backs to him. I
can’t hear certain voices, listen to certain music or see cars without thinking
about him. Even though I am healthy and have moved on, he still haunts me. It
isn’t nearly as often as it was and I no longer have panic attacks about it,
but every so often the nightmares still come.
I still feel like my story is inconsequential, a minor blurb
on the scale of big things out there. But I know that isn’t true. Every day
there are women who were or are in the same shoes of being in a relationship
that isn’t healthy. Maybe you don’t know you were raped or you thought it was
something else. Maybe you have questioned if it is abuse or not. Maybe you have
toyed with the idea that you are a victim. I firmly believe that if you even
have to wonder, chances are it is.
Please know you are not alone.
No means no.
There are plenty of places to turn for help. If you are struggling, RAINN has a free,
confidential, 24/7 sexual assault hotline: 1.800.656.HOPE(4673). RAINN also has
an online hotline: https://ohl.rainn.org/online/
Don’t be afraid to speak up. People will listen. People care. I care.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave positive feedback! :D