![]() |
| The drive to town. Reminds me a tad bit of Ireland. |
Perhaps this year even more so than other years spring has sprung to life for my family. My father in law raises race horses and other barn yard critters and invited us to get involved. It's our first journey into the world of raising our own meat and farm life, even though everything is out on a property outside of town. I am so excited to give my kids this experience and it makes me anxious to get land of our own. I seriously love the idea of providing for yourself and I am all about eating organically. Its a bit of work but I am hoping that is is going to be worth it come fall!
This year, we have a pig! A pig!! Drew has named him Police Man. We haven't had the heart to tell him that Police man is going to end up in the freezer this fall. Still, it's been fun taking them out to the farm and letting them hang out with the animals. P-man is a bit of a bully and picks on all the other feeder pigs but he sure is cute. This picture doesn't do him justice as his ears are literately bright pink now and his body is white.
| Police Man the Pig! :) |
Besides the pigs, the main occupants of the farm are the horses. They are gorgeous. Both kids are in awe of them and Alynn asks every day to go ride them. We are so excited because the two mares are due any day. I personally am excited to see the long legged colts charging all around!
| the mamas-to-be |
![]() |
| Nayt and Kirk working on the coop. |
A very nice gentleman has actually offered to GIVE us as many adult laying hens as we want so we are going to be getting 6 of them. The hope is that we will see a saving on the eggs we buy a month. I am really excited.
Our coop was super easy to make. We used the 5x6 "tree house" the kids didn't use and attached a 10 foot run to it. We want to give our girls space and sunshine, even if they do have to live next to the smelly pigs!
![]() |
| Emma Loo Lop |
Another exciting addition of our growing
We are actually getting her next week at 10 weeks old. I am so excited. Growing up my sister has a bunny and I know that they are incredibly smart. I am hoping she can get litter box trained and we will let her hop all around!
In another post i'll talk more about our baby chicks and how they are doing.
We are really enjoying the spring, the farm and keeping busy. I love that my kids stay busy and the exposure to all the different animals. I know the fresh air and sunshine is good for us. And the hard work makes sleeping at night just a little less of a hassle.
Oh in other news, this went up yesterday!! Less than a month now until it opens! I am so excited!






No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave positive feedback! :D