Friday, June 10, 2011

Head banging and stupid moves

Drew has always been a great kid, always happy and cheerful except for the moment he gets frustrated. At that moment all hell breaks loose and my peaceful little man turns into a head banging monster. It wouldn't be a big deal if he was banging his head on something soft like a pillow or even the carpet. Nope, his go to place is the wall or his bed room door. At first this behavior bothered me, and we would spank him when he would do it. Normally he only needs to be spanked once and he won't do it ever again, but it did nothing to curb the head banging. So we tried time out, nothing. Finally on the suggestion of Dr. Kelly, we just ignored it in hopes that if we didn't acknowledge it or give him the attention for it he would stop. This tactic coupled with avoiding as many frustrating situations as we could seemed to work well. That is until last week.

I am sure it in response of bringing Alynn home, but the head banging has gotten worst. I hit up good old google and everywhere I looked said it was normal toddler behavior and that he should out grow it by age 3, and most toddlers will know when to stop before they hurt themselves. Yeah, no, not my son.

Yesterday we attempted to lay him down for his nap, and instead of napping he wanted to play at the park which resulted in 45 minutes of solid screaming and him banging his head on his door. He has not done this in ages, normally when he doesn't want to nap he will cry for 15 minutes top, and we have not had a 45 minutes stretch since moving here. Seriously the worst feeling as a mother is trying to decide what to do. let him scream or give in. Both suck in their own way. We finally caved. (an hour is our normal time, but the banging was getting worst.) Well, when Nayt went to open the door to let him out, the door handle would turn but the little thingy ma gig that opens the door wouldn't move, Drew was hitting it so hard he broke the door. So he had to use a butter knife to get the stupid door open. We were greeted by a little boy with a bruised forehead and black eye. (i am at my wits end with what to do, and I plan on talking to his pedi about it in 3 weeks.)

So fast foreword to today, I am sitting in his room holding Alynn and talking on the phone with my mom while Drew plays happily with his toys. He has been in a great mood today and things are honky dory. Without me really noticing, drew slammed his door shut. It wasn't until 30 minutes later when I got up to refill his tippy and start dinner that I realized we were locked in the room. It was only 7:30, and Naythan didn't get off work until at least 8:30. And because it was Drew's room, naturally we didn't have anything super long and pointy to slid in the door. We were stuck. I even checked out the window screen (which they just replaced yesterday) but the thought of climbing out of a window and jumping 4 ft with a c-section that is just now healing and leaving Drew alone in his room with his sister was enough to make me sit tight and wait it out. I gave the door a few more fruitless attempts, thought about a few well placed head bangs, and gave up.

So we read and played for another 40 minutes. Never have I been so thrilled to see Naythan. The only thing I kept reminding myself was at least Alynn was with me, normally I play in his room while she sleeps in the swing, so that is a huge blessing. I would have jumped the window had she been in the living room. But seriously, why does this crap always seem to happen to me? I swear I have the worst luck possible! Oh well, all's well that ends well right? :)

1 comment:

  1. What a crazy ordeal! I'm glad everything turned out OK and that there was no immediate need for a bathroom break. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave positive feedback! :D