Thursday, July 14, 2011

you have to be kidding me

So yesterday I was asked by the nurse practitioner who will be putting in my iud what I do for a living. Normally it is a question I am happy to answer, so I quickly replied that I am now a stay at home mom. Without missing a blink, the woman replies "Oh so you don't do anything." Um... no. I really wanted to tell her to go screw herself, but since this is the person who will be shoving a copper thing into my uterus, I simply said that I sit around and eat bon bons all day. Though if there were bon bons in my house I probably would eat them all day long. (in truth, i don't know if i have ever had bon bons.) 


I love my children, they are my whole world and I can't imagine a day without them. But they are the biggest mess makers, time suckers and energy drainers that i know of. Of course it is all worth it and I dread the day I return to work, but I am by no means sitting around all day doing nothing.

So allow me to do a play by play of our basic day.


  • 5:30-6:00am: I wake up with Alynn for a bottle, and then she goes back into her swing while I try to squeeze in as much extra sleep as I can. 

  • 7:15 am- Drew wakes the whole house by banging his head on his door as loudly as he can, he then gets to lay in bed with us for another house watching something on netflix, normally it's Sponge Bob. (mother of the year right there, ladies and gentlemen.) 

  • 8:15am - I begrudgingly fall out of bed bleary eyed, dazed and confused stare at the kitchen cabinets hoping breakfast will magically appear. 

  • 8:30am- a strong cup of coffee revives my weary body a bit and I start some sort of breakfast. Alynn also wakes up about now from her snooze in the swing. 

  • 9:00am- We eat breakfast, no easy task while trying to feed a bottle to a baby and keeping Drew from feeding his syrup covered waffles to the dog who is waiting patiently under his chair. 

  • 10:00am- the tv comes on and Drew is allowed to watch some show of his choosing, which is normally Thomas the Tank engine. I can only take so much shunting, buffing and bumping before I feel the urge to shoot anything that even thinks about huffing or puffing. All this time I am trying to calm a screaming baby down as she gets sleepy right about now, but fights sleep for the next hour. 

  • 11:00am-Drew wondered off to make a big mess somewhere. I finally get Alynn down for a nap so I can get some cleaning down. Drew will wonder back to where ever I am "helping" me by undoing any amount of cleaning I just did, so I give in and let him play with water in the sink which results in the kitchen looking like Niagara falls just had a mini baby in it. 

  • 12:00pm- Alynn wakes up screaming bloody murder because she is starving and hasn't had anything to eat in her whole life. While I try to get some food into her before she shrivels up and dies, Drew thinks he is a wild animal and strips of everything and before I can catch him he is peeing on the dog. Probably marking his territory or something. 

  • 1:00 pm- I bring the kids all into the big bathroom and everyone gets a bath. Drew is so kind by helping pore water all in his sisters face so it takes me nearly 20 minutes to calm her down enough to sit in the bouncer so I can shower. I manage to shave my legs with little assistance, but only if I sing a billion lines of "Old McDonald had a Farm" 

  • 1:50 pm- I manage to get clothes on all of us, my hair brushed and maybe a little bit of makeup. 

  • 2:00 pm- I attempt to get Drew to eat something, normally that is a big fat fail. We watch another quick show while Alynn starts to doze off in her bouncer in a milk coma. 

  • 2:30 pm - This is when I start begging, bribing and pleading with Drew to take a nap. I know he is tired, he knows he is tired and we both know who holds the cards in this game. 

  • 3:00pm- If I am really lucky I will be sitting in a house that is peaceful with both kids napping. Somedays I nap, somedays Nayt and I get it on or I will loose myself in the drama of the Bachelorette.
  •  
  • 4:00pm- My peace is over by one or both kids waking up. I once again vacuum and pick up the messes that have some how crept up all over the house since my last time to pick up. 

  • 4:30pm- By this point I need out of the house, so we will either play out side, but since it has been so hot lately we all pile into the car and head over to Bi-mart to walk aimlessly around the store and to bug daddy. 

  • 6:00 pm- we get home and I once again stare at the kitchen just wishing some magical cooking genie will appear. But since he fails me day after day I call Nayt to see what he wants. He redirects the question and I hang up feeling just as confused and lost of what to cook.  I once again feed the bottomless pit that is Alynn, color with Drew and finish up the lunch dishes that are still hanging out in the sink. 

  • 7:30pm- I start what ever I came up with for dinner and begin our bedtime routine. Drew gets thrown into a bubble bath where he turns the bathroom into a mini ocean, covered in bedtime lotion and I put on some sort of movie to start winding him down. 

  • 8:30pm- Daddy is finally home, and he is normally welcomed by a very frazzled me trying to cook dinner, a crying Alynn and a grumpy Drew. Poor guy. But dinner is done so we eat, once again trying to get drew to put the food in his tummy and not the dogs. 

  • 9:00pm- Drew give out his awesome kisses and we trudge to his room where I read him a story, say bedtime prayers and turn on the relaxing cd. I then tip toe out of his room praying my own bed time prayer that he stays down and doesn't freak out when i close the door. I wake up Alynn to eat, again. This is quickly becoming the highlight of my days, Nayt and I will watch something on tv while I get to spend the best quality time with Alynn. 

  • 10:30pm- we crash in our room watching Stargate, just to be sure Alynn is asleep. If I am lucky I make it though the whole 45 minutes. Maybe.  

  • 12:00am- I am out like a light. 

  • 3:30am- My daughter is up, once again starving. So I take an hour to get her back to sleep, then pass out again, but only after maneuvering around Nayt who has spread out in our bed taking over my side as well as his. 

  • 5:30am- do it all over again. 
Now, what I left out is the constant diaper changing that I do. I think I am wiping some butt at least once an hour. Pretty sure our family alone keeps huggies and the local dump in business. 

So that is my day. I totally don't do anything. At all. 

I love it and I'm not trying to complain (I just read this to Nayt who said I was bitching.) because i know tons of people who would love to be in my shoes, so please don't take it that way at all. I know how darn lucky I am. honest. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that is one of the funniest, most awesome posts EVER!!! :D I LOVE you!!! (P.S. You have a right to bitch some...)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave positive feedback! :D