Thursday, April 5, 2012

And the Drew saga continues...

Ok.

So I picked Drew up at school today and the EI behavioral specialist pulled me aside and explained that Drew has his first ever full blown temper tantrum at school complete with biting himself and hitting his head for about 30 minutes, and she clearly sees what I am dealing with at least 3x a day, that combined with working and observing him for the past 9 months, she is recommending us to do to a behavior specialist, because clearly something is "off". She gave us three real plans of action she recommends and it is all up to us on how we want to go about it.

1.) Wait until the school gets back to us, start our school eval, and see what the school district recommends and offers. (this could be anywhere from 2 weeks from now to beginning of September, depending though our case worker is 100% sure he qualifies for early preschool.)

2.) Take him to our primary care pedi, who is amazing but isn't just for behaviors, see what she says and go from there, I can either do this now or wait until his 3 year check up in June. I am sure I could get in to see her within the month if I didn't want to wait.

3.) call one of two specialist in Boise, I may or may not need a referral, and get on their wait list to see someone. I have already called our insurance and they cover 100% of an in network mental health provider with our normal co-pay. I could do this anytime.

We are really torn. The last thing we want is to go looking for trouble, but at the same time Nayt and I are at our wits end with him. He doesn't sleep at night, is up at midnight and 4, getting him to eat is a trial, we deal with massive temper tantrums through out the day. Idk if it is parenting, behavior or a bit of both. I know we need help, but if the school comes through we may just get it all for free. But I know that the sooner things are found and worked out, the better. Should I see what our pedi says?! Skip her and go right to the big guns?! EI was no help since she said any of them are a good plan, its up to us.

Why does being a parent have to be so damn hard!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave positive feedback! :D