Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cars

just a few of Drew's cars
We are a house that loves cars. I have always enjoyed a nice car and I am a bit of a car whore. After a year or so of driving one I want a new one. Nayt is my truck guy. One of the things that drew me to him in the beginning was the fact that he drove a truck. I can appreciate a good engine and even know my way around them.

This is obviously something that got passed on to our children. I knew having a boy would be all about cars, sports, and rough things but I didn't expect it to be something that would define my daughter too. But today I watched them get into a full out brawl over a blue and orange hot wheels pick up truck. I am fine with it. There are worst things a kid could love I guess. I just figured with Alynn is would be baby dolls, dress up, and ballet which makes me more nervous then hockey and monster trucks, so I am ok with her choice to play with her brother's hot wheels instead of my make up.

And with the love of cars comes anything related to cars. We were talking to Drew last night showing him back packs for school in 4 weeks and Nayt asked what type of back pack he wants. We are now on the look out for a Mater back pack, and a lightning lunch pail. This kid could watch those movies a million times a day if I let him. He has to have cars on his sippy cups, his big boy underwear, his shoes, you name it and it likely has a car of some sort on it. He won't go anywhere without his hot wheels and I have those suckers stashed everywhere. In the diaper bag, in the dashboard of my jeep, in my pockets at the park, if he needs it, I have it. If he is eating, he is playing with them. If he is in the car he has them, if he is watching tv his cars are with him. Normally he has them lined up in a row, eagerly waiting for his hands to bring them alive. I have tried to play with him, but he is content to just let them jump over each other, race each other, and just be alone with his cars so I let him. I love watching him play with them because you can see him pretend and he is content.

Cars are also the way we are teaching him his colors. The only way I can get him to tell me a color is by pointing to the car. "Andrew, what color is this race car?" "BOO!" "GEEN!" "ITE". He will also sit still and color, but it has to be his cars coloring book. Cars have also taken over my phone with apps that calm him down in the middle of a break down. (Thank you Kids match'em!)

Another awesome car thing he adores right now his the new "Cars" book we just bought him. His daddy has been reading him to sleep every night with it and it melts my heart to see them together going over the adventures of the crew from Radiator Springs.

I love that my kid has a passion for something. I love that it is something I can offer him. Something we can learn from. We took him to a car show and you would have thought he died and went to heaven. We watch clips on race cars on you tube, and if he happens to catch a nascar race he is thrilled. This kid loves cars. He often has to "check my tires" when we are getting into our jeep. He loves it when we drive in daddy's fast car, and he asks to buy a hot wheels at every store. Not going to lie, between cars and fishing, I am digging this kids choices and I love watching him enjoy his passion.
 We have a lot of cars in this house. And I am just fine with that.

What sort of things do your kids love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave positive feedback! :D