Monday, July 16, 2012

Dating my husband

In the hustle and bustle of life with a demanding kid, I am learning that my time with Naythan is one of the things that is easy to let slide.

 When we first had Drew we were really bad about getting a baby sitter and getting out for some alone time and it took a toll on our marriage, so we made an effort to change that when we moved here to Idaho. At first it was hit or miss, but within the last couple of months I started demanding date nights. My sanity needs it. You hear so often about families slitting up when something like a life changing diagnoses comes, and we simply refuse to let that happen.

Last saturday at the concert
 So, to keep our spark alive amidst the insanity of sensory diets, therapy, and sticking to our routine that has become everyday life Nayt and I date. I seriously love “dating” this guy, he is funny, sexy, and the ying to my yang. Plus our dates are fun. We go out once a month without the kids. Last month it was to a carnival, this month it was to a Mark Wills concert, but we have done everything from dinner and a movie, to driving around blaring music. 90% of our dates end up like our very first one back in college, at a 24 hour walmart because everything around here closes at 11/12am and we just are not ready to get home which results in us buying a new pair of pjs to wear home at 1am.

 We have an unspoken rule that we are not allowed to talk about his job, the kids, or money when we are out. Those are conversations that we save for our late at night in bed chats. (Also, some of our best conversations happen at this time because there are no kids around) I love this rule. It lets me get away from all the stuff at home and just be with him.

 I love this guy so much. We have fun together and I think that is so important to any parent relationship. Throw in special needs and it becomes just as important as the air we need to breathe. I don’t want to lose us as friends, lovers and husband & wife while we are partners and mom & dad.

No one said this was going to be easy, but with him by my side it allows me to share the burden and stress. Plus, lets face it, it turns me on watching him be a kick ass dad. I couldn’t be the mom I am without him. I kind of have a crush. 

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're reconnecting with your husband again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great team you make :)

    tina

    ReplyDelete

Please leave positive feedback! :D