Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hunting Season

Today's pre-work haul
So we are at the tale end of duck season here in Idaho, and while there is no REAL end to the hunting season, I am hoping it will slow down soon, especially if Nayt is going to be required to be gone  90% of his days off for 18 weeks.

I don't hate hunting. In fact, I am in the mist of a hunter's safety course so I can join him in the
 fall, but I have learned that there are some things I should naturally expect from here on out.




1.) Starting at the end of August until October the only time I should expect to see him is at meal time, when he is sleeping, or on our anniversary, but that is only if I am lucky.

2.) Be prepared to spend hours wrapping meat.

3.) Check every pocket for un-shot shells and bullets.

4.) You learn how to wash his hunting gear separately and you never make the mistake of throwing your clothes in with them twice.

5.) You become an expert on the creative ways to cook deer, duck, and rabbit.

6.) I learn to fall asleep at 5am after making coffee, lunch and running out to the rig in a robe to give him a knife that he forgot.

7.) You know how his hunting trip went based on how his voice sounds on the phone.

8.)  Your kids prefer to play with duck calls than their new toys from Christmas.

9.) Camo becomes an acceptable clothing choice.

10.) Even when your husband is at work your kids think he is out hunting.


I never thought I'd be married to a hunter, but in the past year Nayt has fallen in love with the sport and I can't deny that I love the benefits. I love that most of the meat we eat are from animals he killed.

Meet Clark Kent, our 15 week old lab.

I also never thought we would have a hunting dog, but we do now. But today getting into my shower as I stepped over the waders that are drying, hung up his hunting bag, and saw our two labs sleeping in the room, I kind of like this life, and I am excited that it is something we can pass down to our kids.

It is a life style I enjoy, living off the land, providing things for ourselves and eating clean. I love that we spend time out doors. I love that we are *finally* saving money after all the money we have invested into this sport.

And while I do a lot of complaining about his hunting, I am glad he does it. I wouldn't trade finding this on my kitchen counter for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave positive feedback! :D