| I lied, this turned out too, but lets face it, a glass jar with coffee beans and a candle is fool proof. |
Lucky for Nayt though, I am a bomb diggity cook. (in defense of my craft fails, I have only had 1 pinterest recipe fall flat.) Because I am a bomb diggity cook, I can follow directions like a pro. If I have to measure it, stir it, or knead it I am good to go.
I also have a kid with pretty severe sensory issues, so I am always looking for fun, unique ways to give him some sensory play. And keep him busy. And have fun. When it all falls into one thing, it's a major win for me.
So, today when I found this pinned , I knew it was a perfect storm. Pinterest, a recipe, sensory play. Bring it on baby.
After church we ran into the store for glue and borax, because I am not a crafty do-it-yourself-er who magically has everything I need waiting in a pantry in the basement with all the canned goods, survival gear next to the home spun clothes I make for my all organic kids (No offense to anyone that does. I give you props. I am just easy and like things that are convenient though in a perfect world that would be me) . Glue is sticky and Alynn puts anything that can pore in her hair. Borax**, yeah. I am a cheer kind of gal. Anyways...
I followed the recipe from the pin on livecrafteat.com. Let me tell you, not even I could mess it up. Its super fool proof. The only thing that I did do differently is I didn't add food color, which would have made it fun but it didn't make or break it and my kids didn't know the difference.
But man oh man, do my kids love this flubber. Like I can't keep them away from it in love. Like no interest in a snack, going on 2 1/2 hours of undivided attention love it. like we won't take a nap today love it. But it's cool.
We started by first putting the flubber in a cup because flubber in a cup makes this really awesome farting sound. (I am a Klassy broad) Plus Drew wasn't so sure what to think about the feeling. It's a weird sensation; cold, slick, sticky, but not really. The flubber drips down in this weird slimy way. It's like snot or egg whites only a bit thicker.
Once he got use to the sensation, I let him play with his hot wheels. (the kid is still obsessed.) Then the real fun began. The slime would eat the cars and he would rescue them. He would fill a dump truck with slime, he would make piles. It was wonderful.
As for sensory play, I give this a 9 out of 10 stars. Its slimy, fun, and really great to play with. Plus, once he was use to the feeling, he really enjoyed it. Score for flubber. It totally blows moon dough out of the water.
The reason I didn't rate it a 10 is because it is hard to hide things in it. Ideally, i love sensory things where I can hide something like pennies, buttons, or other small things for them to dig for. It really forces Drew to get his fingers deep into it. This doesn't have enough give for that. So while he would handle it, he didn't get the full sensory sensation Alynn did because he touched it the smallest amount of time possible to uncover his cars.
Another down side, it it is really hard to come out of materials. Such as the carpet or clothes. The flubber "expands" and "Drips" so be forewarned. I am not trying to figure out how to get it out of my carpet and camera strap or anything.
But, over all, we will be playing with this again!
A pinterest win for me? Its a good day!
**Foot note
After I wrote this, I actually ran out of my cheer laundry soap, and since I had a ton of laundry and no time, I used borax instead. Umm, its amazing. It's like better than bleach. My colors are brighter and my whites are whiter. Borax will not be a part of all my laundry. Just saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave positive feedback! :D