Saturday, December 21, 2013

Lets talk photography

I have been doing photography semi-professionally since 2011. I have learned a lot in that time frame and I am continuing to learn by leaps and bound. it has taken me a long time to get to the point where I consider myself "professional" and even that is laughable someday. But regardless of how good you are or how "professional" you are, I am learning there are some things I hate about the whole photography business (which are also the main reasons I don't want it to be my full time gig).


 


1.) Please don't ask for me to do your pictures for free.

If I offer that is one thing, but to assume that because I am not shooting every weekend, don't charge hundreds of dollars or that I am a friend of a friend who is a friend that I want to take time and shoot your pictures for free. I do shoot a lot for free, but its because I love it or I need a certain thing.

*sub-point* if  I do shoot for free for you, please understand that I am taking time and energy for you so please to not demand anything of me, request that I give you x amount of pictures, or that I not post pictures as I see fit. I will remain professional, but it's frustrating.

2.) To be told "Wow, these are better than I thought".

I get this a lot. Truthfully its a big ego blow. I got it the other day when someone at Nayt's work asked to see my work. I got it again when a client that works with my mom got her pictures. I get it all the time. So please, if someone tells you they are a professional, don't tell them that their pictures are better than you thought they would be. It hurts.


3.) Everyone is a photographer

Between cheap DSLR cameras, picmonkey, and instagram everyone either is a photographer or knows someone who is. which is fine. Everyone has a unique idea of what good is, and there are some amazing photographers out there. Photography is not an exclusive club because if it was I wouldn't be invited.   I am a fledgling professional and I still inwardly cringe calling myself a professional because I can only look at my work and see what I did wrong. However, it drives me bonkers when people tell me they do photography and you either see their work or talk to them and it is clear they don't know what they are talking about. I have taken time and energy to truly learn my camera and how to pose people. And I am the first to admit I have a long way to go.

4.) Hearing "you must make a lot of money".

Nope, I don't. in fact, I barely make enough to pay taxes and to take my family out to eat. Some of it is personal choice because of how I price myself. (if you really want my theory on that here is is). But I don't make a lot of money doing it. Most photographer's don't.
 
5.) Please please please don't cancel a session multiple times and/or hours before we are meeting.

Things happen. Kids get sick.  Emergencies come up. I am not only a mom, but a human. I get it. But on days when two clients cancel hours before a session it just plain sucks. And it happens all. the. time. People schedule, I rush around to find someone to watch the kids, I get creative and pumped and excited, and the client backs out hours before. My time is valuable to me and I do more than just show up with my camera the day of. I prep, I shoot, and then I spend hours editing. So my 40 minutes session is realistically at least 4-5 hours of my day, even if I only spend 40 of it with you.
It's insulting, it hurts and it makes me want to give up on you, especially if it has happened with you more than once. It really sucks when I see pictures a few weeks later on facebook someone else took. Talk about slap in the face.



6.) Tell me I have a nice Camera.

You don't tell a chef he has a nice kitchen when the dinner is amazing, or a doctor he has a nice operating room. The same should go with any photographer.


7.) Please don't invite me to things and ask me to bring my camera.

Chances are I will only show up with my cell phone.



So here are a few things that would make me (or any photographer I am assuming) happy.

1.)  I would love to see how you use my pictures. if you use them for Christmas cards I'd love to see, or if you hang them on your wall show me. It is nice to know your work isn't just living on a computer hard drive somewhere.

2.) Tell me thanks. The other day I got a gift card in the mail from the couple I did a wedding for with a thank you card. Kid you not, that card is now hanging above my computer where I edit because it reminds me that they enjoyed my work and that is why I do it.

3.) Tell your Friends. Photography is a word of mouth business. Please share my pictures, my name, my info if you were happy. Some of my best clients come from someone telling them about me.


Like I said, I am neither the best nor am I a world class photographer, but I can only imagine that these things are universal to anyone that dabbles in the world of paid portraits. Its tough, its a cut throat world, and carving out your own special corner is hard. But I also think it is worth it.
So next time you get your pictures taken, thank the person behind the camera, trust that you hired the right person, and let them do their job!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave positive feedback! :D